"Everything is possible to him who believes." Mark 9:23

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Podcasts

I've never listened to a podcast before. I had heard about them, and seen them on my iTunes but never really gave them much thought. In my social media class on Thursday, we listened to a specific podcast that our professor enjoys listening to. The random podcast that was chosen was absolutely hilarious. The topic was such a random, and ridiculous topic but I was laughing hysterically. That was my first taste of what a podcast was or could be. I was curious to learn more and see what else a podcast could involve.

This is the iTunes podcast symbol
courtesy of  blog.voaudio.com.
David Meerman Scott, the author of The New Rules of Marketing & PR, wrote in one of his chapters that podcasting was more than just music. First of all, I didn't even know that podcasting could be music. Scott talked about how a podcast could be used almost like a radio. Musicians who haven't hit it big yet could post podcasts of their music and commentary. Radio hosts could also use podcasts, just like the example we listened to in class. Scott also said that marketers or organizations could use podcasts to "reach buyers directly." How-to customer service podcasts, podcasts for people who travel often, and podcasts for people who prefer audio over visual are all examples of how marketers can use podcasts. I had no idea that there were so many options for creating a podcast to use in an organization.

Podcasts can be downloaded on iPhones, iPads, and iPods and can be listened to anywhere, at any time. Some podcasts can be boring or funny, information or for entertainment. Either way, I believe that podcasts hold a wealth of opportunities for organizations that people haven't found yet. Scott was right when he said that podcasting is more than just music. I can't wait to create my own podcast and use my new knowledge of podcasts in the future. Share with me your podcasts experiences and ways that you believe organizations could utilize podcasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment