"Everything is possible to him who believes." Mark 9:23

Saturday, September 1, 2012

New Kid on the Block

Blogging is new for me, and I'm still not sure if I'm doing it correctly. However, as part of my class we have assigned readings that we have to read before class. We recently read The New Rules of Marketing & PR, by David Meerman Scott. I was dreading reading the book but found the content to be very enlightening. One part of the book that stood out the most to me was in chapter 17, Scott talks about a few key points when starting your blog:

  • Comment on other blogs before beginning your own personal blog
  • Note what you like and dislike about other people's blog styles
  • It is important to pick a topic that you are passionate about
  • Figure out who you want your target audience to meet
Each of these tips I found to be very useful, especially since I am new to blogging. I found that by looking at other people's blogs, and commenting on them, you can get a feel for the many different styles of blogging. I love to check out the blogs about food, and also personal story blogs with a lot of pictures. It was helpful to discover that I didn't like "wordy" blogs, or blogs that weren't appealing at first glance. 

Although I have to write my blog for class, and it can feel forced some days, I am still able to find topics within the assignment that I am passionate about. I love sharing my life at Ohio Northern with other people, as well as finding interesting stories in the PR world that I can analyze.

Lastly, as a marketing major and a minor in public relations, finding a target audience is drilled into my brain starting at day one. It is easy for me to stop and think to myself, "Okay, who am I trying to reach, and what do I want these people to know?" I love being able to figure out my audience and tailor my message to them. 

By using these few key points about blogging, I am slowly beginning to improve my blogging with the hopes that by the end of the semester, I won't be the new kid anymore!

Do you have any tips about blogging that you have found helpful?

No comments:

Post a Comment